BIRDSONG TEA

... if we could make tea from birdsong,
it would be really good, wouldn't it?...
... it may take a little imagination,
but lift your cup and enjoy Birdsong Tea...

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Hummingbird Lessons

I hung a string of paper lanterns on the edge of the roof of the patio. They were in festive colors of yellow, orange, and green. Then I sat down to enjoy the backyard from the air-conditioned room inside. Almost immediately, a hummingbird flew in and commenced to pecking every one of those lanterns. Of course, he must have been looking for supper and finding only paper, flew away disappointed. Naturally, I was left with a sad feeling, like I had tricked him. So I quickly got a hummingbird feeder, filled it with good red juice, and hung it out. Again, I sat down to watch and within minutes, the hummingbird dashed in to give me one more chance. Finally, he got what he was looking for. Instead of flying back to his perch in the tree when he had drunk his fill, he flew directly at me and pecked once on the window separating us – as if to say, “Thanks, friend! That was good!”

Now before you get any ideas, I am not a bird-whisperer and I know I really don’t know what he was thinking! Still, the entire episode reminded me of how many times I am blessed by what someone does and I forget to say thanks. That happened in New Testament times as well. Remember the time Jesus healed ten lepers and only one came back to say thanks?

The hummingbird incident also illustrates the idea of “seek and you will find”! I think people who need the Lord and need a church family, are often pecking at other things that yield as much long-term satisfaction as paper lanterns. The question is, how do we Christians hang the feeder out where they will find it? How do we attract them so they will come and find what they so desperately need? If you have thoughts on this subject, I want to hear them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it so amazing that such a simple thing can provide so much insight into the word of our Lord. That was a wonderful story.

Sandra