Have you ever been hugged by a child happy to see you? - one of those so-happy-to-see-you-I-can't-contain-myself hugs! They come running, all smiles, calling your name, and almost knock you down no matter how you brace yourself for the impact. Then, they wrap those little arms all around your neck and hold on tight as if to never let you go. Now, that's a hug!
You never forget a hug like that. It nourishes your very soul. Another special "hugger" I remember is from an older person in my family. Marcia would hug and hold! She would hug you and not let go until she had blessed you with a prayer, thanking God for you. When she would finally let me go, I would think, "Now, that's a hug!"
We are too quick to embrace the world - too hesitant to embrace this God-life. As a result we live with half an embrace - without the power to really live, thwarting our chance to live out loud, with the freedom that is ours only in our Creator God! The thing is we decieve ourselves thinking we can embrace both this God-life and this world-life. It cannot be done. You get all the confusion, all the pain, all the anxiety, without any of the peace, joy, love, patience that come from the Spirit.
I choose this God-life - may I learn to embrace it! I know that if I really embrace it, I must let go of other things I might embrace. I want to run toward this God-life with all my strength, energy, exuberance, and hold on tight for all the blessings God would give.
Mark 11:22 (MSG) "Include everything as you embrace this God-life, and you'll get God's everything." - Now, that's a hug!
No comments:
Post a Comment